Friday, December 27, 2013

Blog News 12/27/13: 2014 Plans




2013 is coming to an end and it's certainly been one hell of a year. Especially in the world of films. I've managed to do a lot in that year as I'm now a little worn out and trying to finish up a few things and watch a couple of more 2013 films before the end of the year. While I will close the year with a tally over all of the films I've seen in the span of 2013 where it's so far over 450 films. It's time to see what I'm planning to do for 2014.

The Favorite Films essay series is still going to happen only when I want to do it. It was a good thing I did the essay for Trainspotting but I had another setback when I attempted to do Secretary again only to be unsatisfied with the results as it's once again scrapped. I've got some ideas on what films I want to cover but I want it to come naturally to me. That is still intact along with some other regulars things that will occur in the blog.

Though The Void-Go-Round went active again last year due to the return of Nine Inch Nails and having seen them in concert. I'm afraid it's still going to be inactive again because all of my attempts to write about music and do music reviews didn't work out. I'm going to post a list of the best albums of 2013 maybe in early January 2014. After that, I don't know. I just don't have the heart or drive to write about music reviews anymore.



One subject matter that I've been seriously writing about has been about professional wrestling as a new blog devoted to that will come though I still have no blog title to think of. With the 30th Anniversary of WrestleMania approaching, I decided to do a marathon of all 30 WrestleManias before the 30th one in April. It will be among some of the projects I plan to do despite my frustrations with the current state of pro wrestling. I'll write some columns and such about my feelings about it while I will cover things from the WWE as well as defunct organizations like WCW, ECW, AWA, and the NWA during the days of Jim Crockett Promotions.

2013 was a massive year as far as what I was able to do as I've managed to fulfill many of my obligations from the the Blind Spot Series to my Auteurs subjects for 2013. As I'm now getting ready for the next Blind Spot Series. There will be a lot of things that I'm going to do for 2014 in terms of film-watching where if you look into my 2014 watchlist. I'm going to do all sorts of films where I hope to do the following:
  • Cover certain periods of films by filmmakers like Luis Bunuel, John Carpenter, Martin Scorsese, Robert Bresson, Roberto Rossellini, and many others. 
  • Watch films relating to trilogies by filmmakers like Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Ingmar Bergman, Godfrey Reggio, Pier Paolo Pasolini, and others relating to themes or in a franchise.
  • Watch films of certain periods in cinema ranging from silent film, French New Wave, European Art-House Cinema, and New Hollywood. 
  • Watch the entire The Story of Film: An Odyssey documentary as well as more documentaries.
  • The Cannes Film Festival Marathon of May 14-25, 2014 will be entirely devoted to films that have won the Palme d'Or.
These are among the goals that I hope to achieve in 2014 as it's very unlikely that I will attend any film festivals as I don't have the money to travel as I'm often focusing on other things. 2013 was a big year as far as the Auteurs series is concerned where I did a four-part series on Woody Allen for the summer. Something I won't be doing for a while as I've learned about what not to do when covering an entire filmmaker's body of work. For 2014, I'm going to tackle a few more giants in the world of cinema where I'm going to approach things differently as far as my film-watching is concerned. Here are the names that I will be covering for 2014:

January-Kathryn Bigelow

February-Jason Reitman

March-Andrea Arnold

April-Francois Ozon

May-Carlos Reygadas

June-Jean Vigo

July-Michael Cimino

August-Leos Carax

September-Pedro Almodovar

October-Terry Gilliam

November-Steven Soderbergh

December-Francois Truffaut

I'm definitely sure that some of you readers are excited by those names as it's a chance for me to finish up some works by filmmakers and tackle some big names as I have also included a watchlist of the films by these filmmakers that I'm going to watch. That is pretty much it for what is to expect in 2014 as I have no clue in how to redesign my blog or anything else as I'm just a writer. Even as I'm still having trouble working on ideas for my own original scripts. Until then, 2013 has been a great and let's hope 2014 will be just as good.

© thevoid99 2013

3 comments:

Chris said...

That's an ambitious line-up, and many great filmmakers mentioned. Can't wait to read your review of The Story of Film: An Odyssey. Favorite Films essay series sounds like a great idea(your piece on Lost in Translation this year was brilliant)
Wishing you a Happy New Year!

Alex Withrow said...

Some great director's posts ahead - can't wait man. Really looking forward to your Soderbergh coverage in particular.

thevoid99 said...

@Chris-The Story of Film thing will be a year-long project as I also hope to write essays again.

@Alex Withrow-I knew you would be excited for Soderbergh as it's likely to be a 2-part piece.