Sunday, December 31, 2017

Films That I Saw: December 2017




With the year about to come to a close and many of us I’m sure are either relieved that we survived a very tumultuous year but I’m also sure that we’re not content knowing that we’re about to go through what could be another bad year. It’s been a whirlwind though I hope everyone had a happy holiday and hope we don’t get any dumber as it’s a shame that we Americans have to live with an idiotic asshole who wants more global warming for the upcoming cold. He doesn’t understand the concept of climate change and never will as my parents watch CNN as they hear about this as it’s just another facepalm moment.



In the month of December, I saw a total of 34 films in18 first-timers and 16 re-watches as it’s a good way to end the year. Among the highlights this month is my final Blind Spot assignment in the Trilogy of Life series by Pier Paolo Pasolini. So here are the top 10 first-timers that I saw for December 2017:

1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri



2. Logan



3. Get Out



4. The Last Jedi



5. Lady Bird



6. Silence



7. The Lego Batman Movie



8. John Wick Chapter 2



9. Knock Knock



10. The Night Before



Monthly Mini-Reviews

Fifty Shades Darker



I FUCKING HATE THIS MOVIE. If you really want to know why? Just read this rant and if anyone is offended by some of the things I’ve said. Frankly, I don’t give a fuck. If you can’t handle it, fuck you.

R.E.M.-Automatic Unearthed


In celebration of the release of the landmark album Automatic for the People by R.E.M. comes this 25-minute documentary short about the making of the album as members of the band, minus drummer Bill Berry, plus producer Scott Litt and the legendary John Paul Jones discuss the album. It shows not just the different locations that the band went to in making the album but also what inspired the songs on the album as it is a must for all fans of R.E.M.

Mike and the Mad Dog



From 30 for 30 is a documentary short about two of New York City’s most outspoken sports critics who were the voice of city for nearly 20 years as they talked about everything that was good and bad in the city. Mike Francesca and Chris “Mad Dog” Russo were men that did revolutionize sports radio as they were passionate into their love of sports but also were vicious whenever things went wrong. It’s a fun piece of the series that showcased two men that gave New York City something to relate to as fans are still waiting for a full reunion with the two though the one-off they did in 2016 was a joy for fans.

Top 10 Re-Watches:

1. Blow-Up



2. Paths of Glory



3. Toy Story



4. Licence to Kill



5. Wreck-It Ralph



6. GoldenEye



7. The Deer Hunter



8. SPECTRE



9. Citizen Ruth



10. We Own the Night



Well, that is all for December. Next month in starting the New Year, I hope to catch up on 2017 releases like The Shape of Water, Phantom Thread, Call Me By Your Name, I, Tonya, and several others as well as other films. I’m not sure what I will watch for my Blind Spot as I’m also hoping to start work on the Adam McKay piece for the Auteurs series. Until then, this is thevoid99 signing off…

© thevoid99 2017

1 comment:

Dell said...

Another great month. I really need to see Three Billboards and Blow-Up. I was a little surprised to see you have GoldenEye ahead of The Deer Hunter. I love the latter, not so much on GoldenEye. Looking forward to what you have in store for 2018. Happy New Year!